Extended Care Pilot Programs
Horizons Extended Care Programs are fee-supported community education programs operated by the Sumter County School Board. The Horizons programs are under the supervision of the school principal, with countywide coordination. The following information outlines what you can expect from the Horizons programs.
To provide all school-aged children with a safe and secure environment with quality, well-supervised enrichment programs that coordinate and complement the student’s regular school program.
Students attending BES, LPES, WES, WWES, and WIS are eligible to attend the programs. (Students who attend WIS will be bused to the WWES campus for aftercare.)
- To provide well-supervised extended day programs for students that facilitate personal and life skills development.
- To provide a program that coordinates and complements the student’s regular school program.
- To meet the needs of students by providing assistance with their homework.
- To maximize the use of public resources by utilizing school facilities beyond the regular school day.
- To strengthen the relationship between schools and the community.
Our mission can only be accomplished with the cooperation of the students, parents and staff. The principal or site coordinator has the right to refuse service for the following reasons:
- A student has received three Horizons discipline notices.
- A student exhibits behavior such as creating and extreme disruption, running away, fighting, stealing, or committing violence.
- A parent/guardian or student fails to follow School Board policies, school site policies, or Horizon procedures or rules.
- A parent/ guardian fails to pick up a student after notification of illness or discipline issue.
- A parent/guardian or student is physically or verbally abusive to staff.
- A parent/guardian fails to pay fees as scheduled.
- A parent/guardian fails to provide updated information and records.
- A parent/guardian fails to adhere to Horizon opening and closing times by not picking their children up promptly.
- A student is not potty-trained.
- 2023-2024 NEW SCHOOL YEAR Registration: 2023-2024 School Year Information and Registration
- Registration forms must be completed for each student entering the program.
- An annual registration fee of $25 must be paid to secure a spot.
The program may be used on a weekly basis. Before school hours are from 7:00 am until the school day begins. After school hours are from the time school ends until 6:00 pm.
After School - $60 per week
Before School - $10 per week
HOLIDAY SCHEDULE AND EMERGENCY CLOSINGS
Calendars are available at each Horizons site indicating the days the site will be open and closed.
SNACKS & LUNCHES
Nutritional snacks will be provided each afternoon at no additional cost. Students must bring a snack and lunch on teacher workdays.
All persons working in the Horizons program possess and maintain CPR/First Aid certification. In addition, the Horizons contractual staff have completed coursework in the childcare field. Horizons staff are School Board employees under the supervision of the school principal or site coordinator.
INCOME TAX INFORMATION
Parents must request statements for IRS purposes. Once requested, SCSB staff will generate tax statements within fifteen (15) days. Tax statements will only be provided in writing: no information will be communicated verbally.
Lake Panasoffkee Elementary